The ORIGINAL White Sox Park or Comiskey Park was built in 1910 by Charles A. Comiskey. It was the first ballpark made of concrete and steel (other parks were made of wood up until that time) setting the standard for all ballparks thereafter. It was briefly known as 'The Baseball Palace of the World' and existed thru the 1990 season making it 80 years old at the time of its demise. When they tore down old Comiskey Park, it was the OLDEST baseball stadium in all of baseball. Even older than Fenway Park and Wrigley Field.
The White Sox current home field was opened in 1991 and was called Comiskey Park or New Comiskey Park as it was built right next to and in the parking lot of 'Old Comiskey Park. In 2003 U.S. Cellular bought the naming rights to Comiskey Park for upwards of 70 million dollars. Hence, Comiskey Park became U.S. Cellular Field or 'The Cell' for short.
The White Sox won their 3rd World Championship in 2005 by sweeping the Houston Astros in 4 games thus ending an 88 year drought.
Their other two World Series Titles came in 1906 (defeated the Cubs 4 games to 2) and 1917 (defeated the N.Y. Giants 4 games to 2)
Chat with our AI personalities