The sport must be practiced by men in at least 75 countries and four continents, and by women in at least 40 countries and three continents.
The sport in question must have a governing International Federation in order for the IOC to officially recognize them as a sport.
The governing body has to then file an application to become a demonstration sport. After that, the sport may file another application to officially become a fully recognised Olympic sport.
Horseshoe throwing doesn't count
To make it onto the Olympic programme, a sport first has to be recognised: it must be administered by an International Federation which ensures that the sport's activities follow the Olympic Charter. If it is widely practised around the world and meets a number of criteria established by the IOC session, a recognised sport may be added to the Olympic programme on the recommendation of the IOC's Olympic Programme Commission.
There are many requirements to participate in the Olympics. They vary by from nation to nation and from sport to sport.
(1) Taekwondo athletes should be medal winners at an International or World event
(2) Taekwondo athletes who wish to represent the United States must be citizens of the United States and hold a valid U.S. passport that will not expire for six months following the conclusion of the Olympics Games.
1, it needs to have an International Federation that governs the sport, sets and enforces rules, organizes tournaments, etc.
#2, it needs to be practiced in at least 50 countries (female sports) or 75 countries (male sports)
#3, it needs to hold World Championships.
#4, it needs to be recognized by the IOC, and finally,
#5, it needs to be voted in to the games by a 2/3 majority of IOC members at the first IOC meeting following each Olympic Games.
*Yahoo Answers user name: Bigfoot
2. The sport in question must have a governing International Federation in order for the IOC to officially recognize them as a sport.
3. The governing body has to then file an application to become a demonstration sport. After that, the sport may file another application to officially become a fully recognised Olympic sport.
Hope its what your after!
According to: http://www.olympic.org/uk/utilities/faq_detail_uk.asp?rdo_cat=24_52_0
What conditions must a city fulfil to become a candidate to host the Olympic Games?
Cities wishing to organise an edition of the Olympic Summer or Winter Games must:
1. Submit their request via their National Olympic Committee (NOC). They then become applicant cities.
2. Answer a first IOC questionnaire for applicant cities.
3. Be selected as candidate cities based on their answers to the questionnaire.
4. Answer a second questionnaire for candidate cities, and submit a candidature file.
5. Host the Evaluation Commission, which makes a four-day visit to each candidate city.
6. Present their candidature to the IOC Session, i.e. the general assembly of IOC members, which has the power to elect the host cities of the Olympic Games.
When the sport is played & broadcasted on the Olympics
The criteria should be if not a lot of people can do that sport proply and do it fast enough then I think it should be a sport
Because I want them to be
Auckland did not host the Olympics
Olympic host cities are chosen by the Olympic Committee. Cities that want to host the game submit a proposal which the committee examines, and based on a long list of criteria, selects the one they believe is best suited to host the games. Statford was a good place to choose for the Olympics because it is spacious and it has a n effiecient transport system. Read more: Why was stratford chosen for 2012 Olympics
No. Jamaica is not going to host the Olympics.
London was the host city for the 2012 Summer Olympics.
London will host the 2012 Olympics
Torino never hosted the Summer Olympics. They did, however, host the 2006 winter Olympics.
if a city can not host the Olympics it goes back to the previous host city i.e. if sochi can not host the 2014 winter Olympics it goes back to Vancouver if London is unable to host the 2012 Olympics it goes back to Beijing
Melbourne hosted the Olympics in 1956
will host London will host the Olympics in a few days.
Chicago is bidding to host the Summer Olympics in 2016.
The last city to host the Winter Olympics was Torino, Italy in 2006.
The host city of the 2016 Summer Olympics is Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.