Best Answer

A teacher of karate is called Sensei. A really high ranked instructor who has earned the respect of their students may be referred to as Hanshi. A traditional martial artist is humble and will never ask to be called by their title, it is up to the other students to teach them the proper terminology. We call our Grandmaster (10th Dan) Sensei when talking with him, but refer to him as Hanshi or Grandmaster when we are talking to others.

User Avatar

Wiki User

โˆ™ 2012-11-27 15:13:24
This answer is:
User Avatar
Study guides

Add your answer:

Earn +20 pts
Q: What is a karate expert called?
Write your answer...
Still have questions?
magnify glass
People also asked