An arsenal is a place where munitions are stored. There is one in Woolwich London from which the football club (which is also in Woolwich) gets its name.
Both the station and the Football Club are named from the Royal Arsenal, Woolwich.
Arsenal Football Club started out as Dial Square in 1886 by workers at the Royal Arsenal in Woolwich, south-east London, and was renamed Royal Arsenal shortly afterwards.
Arsenal Football Club where founded in 1887 as Dial Square in Woolwich South East London.
The Gunners - that is the nickname of the club, which it has had since the 19th century. It is also known as The Arsenal and Woolwich Arsenal One name suggested, that didn't happen was Fulham Arsenal To clarify... Woolwich Arsenal was the name adopted by the club when it became a professional side in the 19th century, two years before it joined the league. Although the club did not play in Woolwich (it played in Plumstead) Woolwich Arsenal (the armaments factory) was the source of the fan base and many of the players. Today, clubs that have a fixation about Arsenal, still call the club Woolwich Arsenal, to stress that they moved from Kent to north London in 1913. The Arsenal, was the name adopted by the club in 1913 when they moved. Calling a club "The" was not unique - there was also a club at the time called "The Wednesday" who later became Sheffield Wednesday. The Arsenal changed their name to Arsenal around 1925 when Herbert Chapman was manager. In 1910 Woolwich Arsenal went into liquidation, and were bought by Henry Norris the owner of Fulham FC. Norris tried to amalgamate the clubs and call the new club Fulham Arsenal, but that plan was rejected by the Football League. The story of the demise and rebirth of Woolwich Arsenal is told in the book "Making the Arsenal" which is available via Amazon.
Woolwich Arsenal FC was the name adopted by Royal Arsenal on becoming a professional club. In 1913 Woolwich Arsenal moved to Highbury in North London and kept the old name until April 1914 when they changed to The Arsenal. This name was continued until 1919 when the name was changed to Arsenal - long before Chapman joined the club. Confirmation of these changes can be seen in surviving copies of the programmes issued for the game. The club made no special announcement each time - just change the name on the masthead of the programme. Companies House records concur.
Because Arsenal FC started out as an Arsenal in Woolwich ( South East London) where they make weapons. This is why we are called the gunners and have a cannon as our symbol The club was founded by workers at a Royal Arsenal in Woolwich.
In the early days of the FA, Arsenal were playing at, or had an association with Woolwich Arsenal who manufactured guns and ammunition. Hence The Gunners. Ken PS. I was a real gunner in the Royal Artillery!
Arsenal Football Club Museum was created in 1993.
The nickname for arsenal is The gunners.
They were formed officially in 1886 by a band of workers from the Woolwich Arsenal factory (a weapons factory). The club went through a period of name changes, including Woolwich Arsenal, Royal Arsenal and Dial Square FC, before settling on Arsenal and moving from the Woolwich area of London to Highbury, North London. Highbury became the permanent home for Arsenal until 2006, when the club moved to Ashburton Grove (approx. 1 mile from Highbury), and their new 60,000 seater stadium.
The twitter handle of Arsenal Football Club is @Arsenal.